Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Dark Brotherhood Note

http://shortcircuitprojects.blogspot.com/2015/09/dark-brotherhood-and-maps.html 

 Made a few props with cotton cloth paper, aka, Resume paper. I remember when I was a kid I had a fascination with trying to make paper look old. I would usually cut pieces of brown paper bag from Aldi and just rub it in ash from the fire pit. But I think this new method is much better.




 



I used coffee and tea both, but I think the tea gives a better color. Either one looks good though. I let the pages soak in the tea for 10 minutes one at a time and then air dried them under a lamp.





I sanded the entire page, front and back, with rough sand paper. Not too much. Just enough to bring out the fibers and give it a cloth like feel. I originally used copy paper, but a friend of mine was disappointed that it didn't feel more like cloth. I have to agree. This does feel a lot better now. After sanding, I slowly ran along the edge of the page with my soldering iron. After I finished burning the edge, I did a once over of the whole thing with sand paper.










While I was at it with the Dark Brotherhood Note, I made a map of Tamriel and Mordor. Using the soldering iron I made longer tears/burns into the maps.



If you look at the close up you can barely see the little cotton fibers sticking up off the map.

I would be happy to make more things using this technique. If you can think of any, leave it in the comments and I will try it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment